Friday, April 19, 2013

Savory & Spicy French Toast


Around 5:30/6:00pm everyday I am reminded that I'm now an adult.  This revelation comes from the fact that I (not my mom) have to answer the question, "what's for dinner?" Last night I perused the web for an idea of what to make. I like to try new things as much as make things I've made a million times. This recipe for savory french toast seemed like a good mix of the two.

Chris loves breakfast for dinner so I thought I'd give it a try.  Note to self: when making french toast of any sort, make sure you have bread in the house. I'd like to give a special thanks to Chris for running out to get said bread last night to make this post possible. Thanks Chris!

I used the recipe I found on Food52.com (worth checking out if you haven't yet) as inspiration while improvising with the things I had on hand.  I served it with a salad for dinner. I think this is definitely a brunch worthy dish for the weekend as well so you have Saturday & Sunday coming at you why not give it a try? Check out my recipe after the jump.

French Toast Ingredients

  • 4 eggs (use organic if you can, roll your eyes if you don't care)
  • 3 tablespoons half-and-half (ditto on the above comment)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
  • 2 tablsspoons finely chopped parsley
  • olive oil
  • butter
  • 6 (1/2") slices of bread, cut on diagonal
Sauce Ingredients
  • ketchup
  • sriracha
Make it!
  1. In a bowl or baking dish, beat together eggs with half-and-half, salt, pepper, basil & parsley.
  2. Heat a medium or large skillet over medium-high heat. Cover the bottom of the skillet with olive oil & add a tablespoon or two of butter for taste.
  3. Dip the bread triangles into the egg batter, drain off any excess, and place straight into the hot pan. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side – you want to develop a golden-brown color and the texture should be crispier than traditional French toast.
  4. Place cooked toasts on a paper towel-lined plate or rack to drain.
  5. In a small bowl, mix together ketchup and hot sauce to your desired heat tolerance.
  6. Serve toasts warm with a side of the spicy ketchup.







  

No comments:

Post a Comment