Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Goat Cheese Flatbread

Ingredients:
  • 2 large onions
  • 3 shallots
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup fresh goat cheese
  • 2 cups arugula
  • 4 pieces trader joe's whole wheat tandori naan bread
Dressing:
  • 1 lemon (juice + zest)
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt & pepper
Jane is one of my favorite places in NYC to eat. They have killer bloody marys & excellent bites. I basically took this flatbread right off their menu. It's so simple but so so tasty & holds a special place in my memory book.

There are two distinct times in my life when I remember savoring this at Jane. The first time was with my mom, right after we had finalize THE fabric that my wedding dress would be made from. The second was the day before my rehearsal dinner for my wedding, with my sister. This flatbread makes my heart & belly warm & of course it helps that you-know-who (my hubby!) likes it too!

Make sure to click through to learn how you can serve it up at home yourself!



Make it!
  1. Slice onions & shallots into large strips. (If you only have onions or only shallots you can go solo - I used both because I had them on hand.)
  2. Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions & shallots. 
  3. Reduce heat to low & stir the mixture often so the onions caramelize. This will take about 20 minutes. (If you see them crisping up reduce the heat & continue cooking).
  4. Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.
  5. Once onions & shallots have turned a golden brown color remove them from the heat & set aside.
  6. Place naan bread on a baking sheet or pizza pan. 
  7. Top each piece of naan bread with 1/4 of the onion & shallot mixture.
  8. Then crumble the goat cheese on top of the onion & shallots. Cook in oven for 5-7 minutes or until the bread is toasty & the cheese is super soft.
  9. Remove from oven. Spread goat cheese all over the onion mixture.
  10. Top each piece with a handful of arugula.
  11. To make the dressing combine all the dressing ingredients together & drizzle on top of each flatbread.
  12. Cut each flatbread into thirds & enjoy.


3 comments:

  1. OMG! I adore flat bread and if I could baste myself in goat cheese, walk out of the house, and not look like a psycho - I'd totally do it! It's so yummy... Great post Heather! I love your blog and your talent really shows in the fantastic images that accompany the posts. Thanks for sharing this delightful treat and all your awesome, insightful tips!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! You're a doll! I feel the same way about goat cheese. You'll love this! Make it and let me know how it goes. Thanks for reading! Hope you're well. Xx

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing! Arugula is so good on pizza too--I love how it it adds a light fresh flavor to an otherwise heavy food!

    ReplyDelete