It’s that time of year again when the temperature rises & I automatically feel like I should be eating some sort of salad for ever meal, yes even breakfast! This earth bowl (a salad with some hearty grains) is one of those dishes that you could eat for breakfast, lunch or dinner. You can eat it (just-cooked farro) hot, room temperature or cold from the fridge. It’s a heartier salad but doesn’t leave you feeling heavy. You can use the veggies & other add-ins I did or you can use what you have on hand.
PS: happy birthday (tomorrow!!! - doh!) to one of my favorite Greek goddesses - Stacy! Love you hot latte ;)
For the Greek Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
For the Earth Bowl
- 1/2 cup cooked farro (hot, room temp or cold) or you can use cooked quinoa or cooked wheat berries
- 1/4 cup chickpeas (cooked or from a can, rinsed, drained)
- 2 tablespoons red onion
- 1/4 cup pea shoots
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 3 tablespoons feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup cucumber, cubed
- 3 basil leaves, julienned (cut into strips or torn)
Make the Dressing!
- In a food processor combine all the dressing ingredients & process until combined so that the cheese has broken down & is more of a smooth mixture.
- Set aside (or put in a cute dressing bottle so you can keep it on your table or stick it in your fridge).
Make the Earth Bowl!
- Prepare all your veggies & cheese.
- In a large bowl (that you’ll eat the salad out of) add the farro & then pile in all of the add-ins. I like to alternate the colors so that the greens aren’t all next to each other but alternating. I also like to make little zones for each component. This is only for aesthetics, it will taste the same if you just pile it all in the bowl haphazardly.
- Drizzle some dressing over the top & mix well. Add more dressing if you like more dressing. There will be extra dressing so stick it in an airtight container & refrigerate for up to 3 days.