Friday, February 14, 2014

Baked Egg in an Avocado

Baked Egg in an Avocado. breakfast. lunch. how-to

I’ve seen this egg in an avocado thing all over social media & have wanted to try it for a while. Yesterday, while working from home (thank you snow day!) I was actually able to make it for lunch - being that I had access to  an oven & the ingredients I needed to make it. It’s really very simple. The most challenging part is balancing the egg inside the avocado but it’s ok if it spills out as long as you follow my steps for anticipating a mess :)

I’ve always had my avocados raw so I was hesitant to fix something that wasn’t broken. I still liked the avocado part but in a different way. It almost reminded me of a baked potato in some ways. Have you tried it? What does it taste like to you?

I will definitely make this again. I think it would be great as brunch appetizer if you want to show off in front of guests.


Happy Valentine's Day!

Ingredients

  • 1/2 avocado (per serving)
  • 1 egg (per serving)
  • salt & pepper
  • sriracha (optional)

Make it!
  1. Pre-heat your oven to 425.
  2. Cut your avocado in half long ways.
  3. Remove the pit.
  4. If the pit is small scoop out a little of the middle flesh (& put it in your mouth & eat it!) to make enough room for the egg. My pit was on the large size so I skipped this step.
  5. Fit the avocado snuggly cut side up in an oven-safe ramekin - or something that will hold it from flipping over.
  6. Crack an egg & gently drop it into the well in the middle of the avocado. If you can try to drop the yolk in first & then drop the white on top of it. if it all just slops it - don’t worry it will still work.
  7. Clean off any extra egg that may have dripped on the sides (so you have less to clean later).
  8. Season with salt & pepper.
  9. Position in the oven on a baking sheet just in case it makes a mess.
  10. Bake for about 15-30 minutes.
  11. When the egg whites have turned completely white it is cooked & then you can keep it cooking longer depending on your yolk preference.
  12. Hold the ramekin with a pot holder (it will be hot!) while using a spoon to pop the avocado out of it.
  13. I slathered some sriracha on top of mine (see make-shift valentine’s day heart - i tried) which would probably look awesome just drizzled on top (next time!), served it  on a dish & ate it out of the avocado shell with a fork & knife. Enjoy hot or at room temp.

Baked Egg in an Avocado. breakfast. lunch. how-to

Baked Egg in an Avocado. breakfast. lunch. how-to

Baked Egg in an Avocado. breakfast. lunch. how-to

Baked Egg in an Avocado. breakfast. lunch. how-to

Baked Egg in an Avocado. breakfast. lunch. how-to

Baked Egg in an Avocado. breakfast. lunch. how-to

Baked Egg in an Avocado. breakfast. lunch. how-to

Baked Egg in an Avocado. breakfast. lunch. how-to


Baked Egg in an Avocado. breakfast. lunch. how-to
Baked Egg in an Avocado. breakfast. lunch. how-to

1 comment:

  1. Just received a check for $500.

    Sometimes people don't believe me when I tell them about how much money you can earn taking paid surveys online...

    So I show them a video of myself actually getting paid over $500 for filling paid surveys.

    ReplyDelete