Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Better Home Cooking Basics: #54 Thicken Soups & Sauces by Blending Them instead of Adding Extra Fat.

It’s still freezing & there’s nothing more that I want to eat than thick, creamy soups & sauces. While adding cream or a roux (butter + flour) to soups & sauces will no doubt thicken them up that’s not the only way to achieve a creamy texture. You can do it simply by blending some of the chunky veggies with the broth & it will add instant thickness to whatever you’re cooking (like I did here & here). I love using my immersion blender to do this because I can blend in the pot i’m already cooking in & there is no flip flopping of putting your soup/sauce in the blender & then back in the pot.
Now that your soups & sauces are thicker you can eat more without the extra fat!

Get more of my better home cooking basics here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment