Besides being super tasty this soup is EASY! Give it a try & let me know if you like it as much as we did.
For the soup:
- 2 large heads of broccoli, cut into flourettes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 head garlic, peeled & smashed
- 1 box of chicken or veggie stock (about 4-5 cups)
- salt & pepper
- red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup peccorino romano cheese, grated
- 2 english muffins, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup peccorino roman cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add broccoli & cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain broccoli & set aside.
- Return the same large pot to the stove top. Heat the garlic in the oil for about 2 minutes. The garlic should start to look golden brown on the outside.
- Return the broccoli to the pot (with the oil & garlic).
- Season the broccoli with salt, pepper & red pepper flakes.
- Cook for 5 minutes to marry the flavors together.
- Add the chicken/veggie stock. Cover the pot & cook for about 25 minutes over medium heat.
- The broccoli should be nice & mushy.
- Remove about a cup of the broccoli flourettes & reserve on the side.
- Turn the heat off. Using an immersion blender puree the remaining mixture until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender use a regular blender but work in batches & be careful this mixture will be very hot!
- Once you have the soup consistency you like return the reserve broccoli to the pot.
- Stir in all of the cheese. Taste the soup & season with more salt & pepper as needed.
- Serve hot topped with croutons & more grated cheese if you please.
Make the croutons!
- Pre-heat the oven to 350.
- Toss all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Transfer uncooked croutons to a baking sheet or another pan with a lip so that they don’t fall off the edge.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Toss them about half way & keep an eye on your bread to make sure it doesn’t burn (this may happen if your pieces are very small).