Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Pear Pie


We've been buying a ton of fruits & veggies, even more so than normal. We've been juicing! But that's not what this post is about. We had a ton of pears (because they make for a very delicious juice) so I decided to use some of them for dessert number two for Easter Sunday dinner (this was the first).  I know you don't normal hear pear pie as a dessert, apple pie, cherry pie sure but not pear. Pear tart yes, but not pear pie. Well you're hearing it now. I made pear pie.  I didn't know how it was going to turn out but my overly stuffed family & I managed to get it down just fine. Now only if I had taken the leftovers home with me. #kickingmyself



Filling Ingredients
  • 7-9 medium/large sized pears
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
  • 2 tablespoons raisins
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar + an extra tablespoon for finishing
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Get the pie crust recipe here.

Make it!
  1. Pre-heat your oven to 450.
  2. Peel, core & slice the pears into even sliced pears & put in a large mixing bowl.
  3. Add orange zest, 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon & allspice. Toss all the ingredients together.  Let this sit for about ten minutes or until some juice starts to form.
  4. Roll out pie crust and place it in a pie pan (the pie crust I used has plenty of butter in it so I didn't grease the pie pan but if you'll sleep better at night go ahead and butter yours).
  5. Pour the pie filling into the center of your crust. Sprinkle with raisins & additional sugar.
  6. Bake in the 450 oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 & cover the pie with foil. Cook for another 30 minutes.
  7. Allow to cool for at least an hour.  Serve by itself or with ice cream.





No comments:

Post a Comment