Monday, February 4, 2013

Pantry Heuvos Rancheros

make huevos rancheros with ingredients in your pantry. recipe.

Chris loves huevos rancheros, a Mexican egg breakfast.  When he asks for it the on a Friday night for Saturday breakfast, how can I not make it? So in hopes to fulfill his breakfast dreams I opened our pantry & was a bit stumped. No black beans.  I did have chickpeas, so I conjured up a little recipe that you can use for any canned beans in your pantry.

I didn't intend for this to be a blog entry but Chris insisted it was blog worthy, so I only have the after photos (scroll down) & the recipe for you this time.

Ingredients:
  • 1 can of beans (I used chickpeas)
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 shallot (or small onion), chopped
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 cup water
  • salt & pepper
  • eggs - cooked the way you like's - we like ours fried
  • toasted bread
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheese ( I used white cheddar)
  • 1/4 cup fresh spinach (or any fresh greens you have)
  • 1/4 cup salsa
Make it!
  1. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
  2. Add shallot. Season with salt & pepper. Cook until shallot is soft.
  3. Add garlic, beans, cumin, oregano & water.
  4. Smash the beans with a spoon.
  5. Cook mixture until all water is absorbed.
  6. Remove from heat.
  7. Layer opened-faced sandwiches as follows: toast, spinach, beans, eggs, shredded cheese, 1 tablespoon salsa.
make huevos rancheros with ingredients in your pantry. recipe.


1 comment:

  1. Oh God yum yum!!!! delicious... I´llprepare this recipe for sure.... yum!!!!!
    have a nice week
    www.petitgraphie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete