Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Saffron Rice with Carrots & Spinach

I really owe my rice skills to the cuban rice recipe I'm always talking about.  Lately, I seem to be a little short on specific ingredients for certain recipes so I find myself improvising.  This is my rendition of a saffron rice with carrots & spinach based on my favorite rice recipe.

What's your favorite rice reicpe?

Get the full recipe after the jump!

P dot S: Happy birthday to my gorgeous friend, Dawnie! I love you!


Ingredients:

    •    1/2 cup olive oil
    •    4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
    •    1 cup minced white onion
    •    1/2 cup carrots, chopped into 1/4" pieces
    •    1 bag fresh pre-washed spinach
    •    1/2 cup  dry sherry
    •    1 cup tomato sauce
    •    8 to 10 saffron threads
    •    2 teaspoons salt
    •    3 cups chicken stock
    •    1 1/2 cups long-grain rice


Make it:
  1. Heat a large skillet and add the olive oil. When the oil is fragrant and hot, make a sofrito or thick sauce by adding garlic, onion and carrots and stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.  
  2. Add the sherry, tomato sauce, saffron, salt and chicken stock.  
  3. Combine well and raise the heat to high, bringing the mixture to a boil.  
  4. Add the rice. Bring to another boil then cover, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is slightly moist and fluffy. Do not overcook. 
  5. Turn off heat.  Add spinach & cover to let the spinach wilt.  Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment