Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Chipotle & Apple Turkey Burgers


If you follow me on instagram, twitter or just visit me here, you know that I've been digging into some scrumptious cookbooks, like the Sprouted Kitchen.

I wish I was organized enough to make a list every time I go to the super market so that I can make recipes exactly as I see them in cookbooks.  This past weekend I really thought I had everything on the list to make Sprouted Kitchen's chipotle & apple turkey burgers, I even brought the book in the car with me.  Per usual I was missing some items, so I had to get creative. 

Click through for my rendition of Sara Forte's recipe with what I had on hand in my fridge.



Herb Spread Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • zest of 1 lime
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves

Turkey Burger Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 green onions, finely chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 apple
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 canned chipotle chile in adobe sauce, finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 4 buns/rolls
  • 1 cup baby spinach
  • 10 fresh basil leaves

Make it!
  1. Mix all ingredients for herb spread together in a small bowl.  Store in the fridge until ready to use.
  2. To make the burgers, heat up olive oil in a saute pan.  Add green onions & garlic, season with salt & pepper.  Cook until mixture is slightly brown (about 5 minutes).  Turn heat off & set aside to cool.
  3. Grate apple with a box grater usage the large holed side.
  4. Combine grated apple, turkey, chipotle, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic & green onions together in a bowl.
  5. Form  4 patties from the mixture, about 1 1/2 inches thick, and let them rest at room temperature for about 15 minutes, or refrigerate  until you're ready to grill.
  6. Cook burgers on a medium heat grill about 5 minutes on each side.
  7. Spread tops & bottoms of bread with herb spread.
  8. Layer the turkey burger, sliced tomatoes, baby spinach & basil leaves to make a tasty sandwich. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Get more tasty recipes like this here.

No comments:

Post a Comment