Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Target: A Thrifty Gal's Anthropologie


Spring is here and my urgency to shop is too.  Inspired by this springs bright colors and patterns for spring I just can't resist shopping!! (Yes, I know I probably should go to meetings - but that's a whole different story.)

Ask anyone I know what my favorite store is - they'll tell you Anthropologie without hesitation. It's known and I let it be known (thank you for whoever has gifted me an anthro gift card in the past - it makes me giddy just thinking about them and I still have the clothes I bought with them in my closet.)

Anthro is no doubt spendy.  A girl's gotta eat and as much as fashion feeds my soul it doesn't do the same for my belly (or Chris's at that).  So I give you Target, the poor gal's Anthro.  Growing up I was blessed with a mother who was trained in apparel design - so not only did all of my clothes fit they were sometimes custom made just for me!  Taking the "I can make that" mentality instilled by my mother and grandmother when referring to an expensive article of clothing,  I accepted the personal (mental) challenge to recreate some looks I found at Anthropologie.*


After a trip to Target this weekend I managed to feed my soul with this spring's trends and save about $335 all the while! See how I saved $335.04 after the jump!



Anthro Splurge $394: top, jeans, sandals, earrings | Target Steal $58..96 : top, jeans, shoes, earrings
Don't get me wrong I'll still shop at Anthro and lust over their yummy catalogs but to keep my hubby and my bank account happy I will substitute in some Target too - especially if it means saving $335 bucks on one outfit (that's about two-three week's worth of groceries… just for some perspective)!

tip: Sometimes you have to size up to save a few bucks so don't get caught up on the number on the tag you can still look like a million bucks and no one will be looking at your tags if your clothes fit and look great on you!

*note: I can sew - it's in my blood but sewing my own clothes is still a (mental) challenge so I stick to bargain shopping for now.

11 comments:

  1. And that outfit was pretty awesome in person too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post idea! I'm headed to Target!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've worn these pants about 4 times since last week - super comfy and way colorful happy shopping!

      Delete
  3. great post! i wish the targets in nyc were bigger and had better stuff than they currently do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i live in hoboken and head over to the jersey city target (where i got these duds) it's a closer alternative to the city targets and usually less hectic with more merchandise.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, am an Anthro lover! What a great idea...I can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they have a bunch of great accessory finds too! have fun!

      Delete
  6. those shoes!!! heading to mexico next months and have been on the lookout for the perfect sandals - thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, they're truly a steal and super comfy. No breaking in necessary b/c they're made of fabric. Thanks for your comment. Enjoy Mexico! xx

      Delete