Monday, August 11, 2014

Fresh & Simple Tomato Salad


I love tomatoes. I know we are lucky enough to be them year round now but nothing beats a fresh summer juicy Jersey tomato. The best part is that they do pretty much all the work themselves because they just taste that good.

My mom always made tomato salad growing up. I think I had forgotten about it until just recently & then I became obsessed. (When I say obsessed I mean it - we ate tomato salad for a week straight & I still want more.) I loved it then & I love it now & I think you will too. Plus the recipe is so completely easy you’ll have to try it at least once. If you love it as much as I do I have some surprises for you this week on how you can serve & eat it so check back!
Ingredients:

  • 4 fresh large tomatoes
  • 1/2 to 1 cup of olive oil, you want a good amount- more than you probably think
  • 3 tablespoons salt, again a good amount - more than you probably think
  • 1 handful fresh basil
  • 1 small onion
Make it!
  1. Cut your tomatoes & onions to be the same shape & size. if you’re chopping the tomatoes into cubes do the same with the onions. i like longer pieces of both, which also means less cutting/chopping.
  2. combine tomatoes & onions in a large serving bowl or mixing bowl if that’s what you want to serve it in - we’re going for the least amount of dishes here.
  3. Toss the tomatoes & onions with the olive oil & salt. I know I gave general & generous amounts - but trust me on this more is more here.
  4. Let the mixture sit for at least 10 minutes.
  5. Cut up your basil or tear it however you like. I like to julienne it or cut it into long strips because I think it looks pretty. But honestly this is a pretty rustic dish so tear away if that suits your style.
  6. After 10 minutes add the basil in & toss lightly.
  7. Serve in bowls.




No comments:

Post a Comment