Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Peach-Rhubarb-Blackberry Pie

Peach-Rhubarb-Blackberry Pie
If I had the choice between cake & pie I’d pick pie 99% of the time. I’m a pie girl. My mom always made pies & I just love fruity sweet desserts so pies satiate my sweet tooth for the majority of the time.

My mom & dad were up to visit at my sister’s apartment this past weekend. I wanted to bring something so I automatically chose to make a pie. Chris & I made a trip to  DePiero’s Farm to see what was fresh & came across sweet peaches & rhubarb. With a a nod to strawberry rhubarb pie - one of my faves I concocted a peach version of it. I had some blackberries at home so I added those too.

Overall it was a pretty tasty pie. My peaches were pretty juicy so the filling had a bit more liquid than I would have loved but we still enjoyed it all the same.

Ingredients

  • 1 pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup agave
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1 lemon, juice & zest
  • 4 peaches, pitted & sliced
  • 2 stalks rhubarb, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup blackberries
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • extra sugar for sprinkling

Make it!
  1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. In a large mixing bowl combine sugar, salt & cornstarch.
  3. Mix in the sliced peaches (you can peel them if you like or leave the skin on & keep it lazy rustic like me) with sliced rhubarb, agave, lemon zest & juice.
  4. Let the fruit & sugar mixture sit for 15 minutes to let the juices release from the fruit.
  5. Roll out the pie crust to the size of your pie plate. I like to use two pieces of plastic wrap rather than adding more flour to my crust & board.
  6. Peel one side of the plastic wrap off the pie crust & position that side down in your pie dish/pan.
  7. With the plastic wrap on the top push the crust into the dish  & remove all air bubbles.
  8. Remove the plastic wrap.
  9. Pull or trim with a knife the excess dough from the side of the dish.
  10. Ball up the dough & reroll in the plastic wrap. If the dough is too soft throw it in the fridge for 10 minutes & then re roll.
  11. Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut hearts out of the left over dough & set aside.
  12. Fill the pie crust with the fruit & sugar mixture. Position blackberries on top of the mixture.
  13. Arrange the hearts in a fun pattern on top of the fruit.
  14. Create an egg wash by mixing the egg & water together in a small bowl.
  15. Brush the crust & tops of hearts with the egg wash.
  16. Sprinkle with extra sugar.
  17. Bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
  18. Then reduce the heat to 350 degrees & bake for another 25 minutes.
  19. Be sure the top of the pie crust isn’t burning. If it gets too brown cover it with some foil or a pie crust shield.
  20. Let pie cool to room temperature. Refrigerate it if you’re making it the night before.












No comments:

Post a Comment