Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Better Home Cooking Basics: #12 Grate Your Own Nutmeg

better home cooking basics. grate your own nutmeg.

A few (plus!) years ago, Chris & I went to Jamaica to see his buddy marry a fabulous gal (who just so happens to have some great ideas of fresh veggie recipes & living a clean life - read more at the thefreshequation.com). The wedding, scenery & food was to die for. One thing I kept seeing in all the little gift shops (especially at the airport) was a little nutmeg nut & a grater. Jamaican’s use nutmeg in their cooking (until then I only thought of it as a spice my mom put in her banana bread) & they grate their own. I immediately purchased a couple nutmeg/grater kits for my mom & my sister.  When I got home I realized I didn’t buy myself one. Luckily I found some whole nutmeg at the grocery store & I had a microplane at home. Since then I have only grated my nutmeg on a on-demand basis. The thing about nutmeg is you only need a little bit at a time (or else I find it gets too bitter). So I just grate as I need it - a pinch here & there. By using the whole nutmeg this way it last longer & tastes fresher. Whole nutmeg is definitely easier to put back in the jar if you spill it on the counter by accident.

Check out more better home cooking basic tips here.

No comments:

Post a Comment