Tuesday, June 11, 2013

How-To Make Fluffy White Rice


I have a confession to make, until this weekend I never cooked white rice properly.  Yeah & I can't make hard boiled eggs. Laugh it up because now I can do both!

I don't know about you but when I was in college I used to make rice in a bag. You'd stick it in a bowl of water & nuke it in the microwave for a five minutes & you had some form of rice that with enough butter made for a great dinner.  Those days are past.  Up until recently I made rice by burning the bottom layer & serving from only the top. Pathetic. I know.

I figured it was time to learn how to make rice properly, even though, yes as my sister-in-law Marie pointed out the directions are on the bag.  For some reason those directions just didn't work for me, but these did & still do!

One of the key things I've always missed are rinsing the rice - it makes a huge difference so that it doesn't stick & clump together.  The other important step I always skipped was letting it rest so that the liquid can redistribute after you take it off the heat.  How could I have survived this long without knowing these simple steps to perfect rice?

Keep reading if you need some pointers, I've shared them with you so you too can have perfect rice & if you already know how - points for you :) What do you want to learn how to make? Maybe I can shed some light.

How-to make fluffy white rice

  1. Rinse rice about 4-5 times
  2. Add 1 3/4 cups of water for each cup of rice. add butter or olive oil & salt (optional)
  3. Bring to a full boil
  4. Cover & reduce to simmer. cook for another 12 minutes. (you can peek at it to see if the liquid is absorbed but cover it right away).
  5. Remove from heat. keep covered for 5-30 minutes.  Fluff with fork.



No comments:

Post a Comment