Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Balsamic-Mustard Potatoes


It's safe to say that if there is no pasta on our dinner table there's a potato near by.  I never really met a potato I didn't like. I'm not a huge fan of overly mayo potato salads but I'll still eat it.  In lieu of mayo I really like acidic or mustardy potato salads made like this one. I didn't have all the ingredients Giada called for in her Lemon-Mustard Potato Salad so I ad-libbed my own version of it.

Dressing Ingredients:

  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (I used two kinds since I was running out of one - hey you work with what you have!)
  • 2 teaspoons dry thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Salad Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 pounds yukon gold potatoes, cut into equal small chunks about 1 inch big
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 cups arugula
  • 1/4 cup (2 ounces) crumbled goat cheese, optional
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional

Make the dressing!
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, thyme, salt & pepper until smooth. 
  2. Remove 3 tablespoons of the dressing & reserve.
Make the potatoes!
  1. Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Cut potatoes in even chunks. If you're not going to use them right away store in a bowl & cover the potatoes with water, drain when ready to use.
  3. Add the potatoes to the bowl & toss until coated with dressing. Arrange the potatoes in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Roast until golden and tender, about 40 minutes.
  4. In a large bowl, toss together the reserved 3 tablespoons dressing & arugula. Arrange on a platter. Place the roasted potatoes on top and sprinkle with the goat cheese & chopped walnuts if using.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment