Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Spiderman Valentines: Pins & Hair Clips

I know I said I'm not big on Valentine's Day but I am big on spoiling the mini valentines in my life & crafting. This mini project was a labor of my love for both of them. There is a ton of little men in my world that just happen to love Spiderman. One of the little ladies in my life happens to want to do everything the boys are doing so I came up with this Spiderman Valentine's Day craft that can work as a pin for a backpack or as a fun hair clip for your tomboy.

Click through for the step-by-step photos of how I made these.

Things you'll need:
  • red felt
  • black fabric paint
  • white fabric paint
  • pin backs
  • hair clips
  • needle
  • thread
  • heart shaped cookie cutters
  • pencil
  • sharp scissors
Make it!
Step 1: Lay felt on a flat surface.  With a pencil trace hearts around a heart-shaped cookie cutter.
Step 2: Draw your design onto each traced heart with pencil.
Step 3: Trace over your design with fabric paint.
Step 4: Fill in the eyes with white paint & then outline with more black paint. Let dry for 12 hours to be sure they are completely dry (I would suggest overnight). Then cut out each heart with scissors.
Step 5: Sew a hair clip to the back side of the heart.

Option B for Step 5: Cut a small square of felt a little bit shorter than the base of the pin back.
Step 6: Add a small stripe of fabric paint or hot glue to the middle of the back each heart about the length of the pin back.
Step 7: Place the pin back on top of the fabric paint or hot glue.
Step 8: Place the small piece of felt over the pin back while paint is still wet or glue is still hot.  Let dry on a clean, flat surface.

1 comment: