So without further adieu, this is what you do:
- Place 2 slices of your favorite bread on a cutting board.
- Butter the top side of each slice with mayo. Make sure they mayo is applied thinly but completely.
- Next, heat a small non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add a pat of butter, let it slide around & melt completely.
- Then take 1 slice of the bread & place it mayo side down in the skillet. Err on the side of low-medium heat to make your grilled cheese. Slow & steady wins the grilled cheese race, hot & fast burns it.
- Top the bread with 3 slices of sliced cheese. (Make sure the cheese is of equal thinness so that it has the best melting potential & there are no un-melted chunks when you’re done.) I like to break & fold the slices of cheese so they cover the whole surface of the bread.
- Top the cheese with the second slice of bread, mayo side up.
- Keep browning the underside of the bread. I like to slide mine around a bit since my oven is a little unbalanced & the heat hits the bread evenly. This takes me about 3-5 minutes
- Take a peak under the sandwich - if it’s golden brown it’s time to flip.
- Using a spatula carefully flip the sandwich over & brown the other side.
- Press down on the sandwich to encourage even browning.
- When the bread is brown & the cheese is melted, remove from the skillet, cut in half & eat immediately.
Get more of my better home cooking basics here.