This week’s Thirsty Thursday installment is at the other end of the spectrum from last week’s boozy brunch post - we’re talking detoxing today. My cousin - who is really more of a little sister to me, Irena Lambrou, is embarking on a new endeavor in juicing, keep an eye out for Zen Blendz Juice (!!!). Irena desires to help others be the healthiest they can be through movement & nutrition. This passion stems from her life as a yoga teacher (practice with her here if you're in Bellingham, Washington) & her grad school studies in Anthropology.
One of Irena’s favorite juicing recipes comes from Choosing Raw. Since Irena knows I love a good mojito she thought this one would be right up my alley & it was. I will definitely make it again & maybe if I’m feeling less detox-y I’ll spike it with some rum! Plus, it's really pretty! Just look at that green frothy juice. Yum!
To make this you’ll need a juicer. It’s an investment but then again so are buying those juices at the juice shop.
- 1 ripe pear (the riper the sweeter your juice will taste)
- 1 large bunch of fresh mint (Irena suggests trying chocolate mint for a delicious variation)
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 lime (peeled)
- Using an electric juicer (like this one) Juice all of the ingredients into one pitcher & pour into a glass to enjoy!
While you’re drinking your juice here are the reasons why it’s so good for you:
- protect the colon
- good source of vitamin C, boron & potassium
- a digestive tonic
- as a diuretic it flushes away unwanted toxins
- provides moderate sources of vitamin A potassium & iron,
- it has sterols that may help reduce cholesterol
- provides vitamin C