I found a recipe on the VillageVoice.com for said sandwich & had to give it a try. It was surprisingly simple as well as delicious. There will be no leftovers.
PS: Happy birthday Dawnie :)
Ingredients (adapted from the VillageVoice.com)
- 20 large shrimp
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup coconut milk salt & pepper
- 1 - 12-inch French baguettes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- pickled carrots (get the recipe here)
- cucumber slices, 1/2 inch thick
- chile mayo (equal parts sriracha & mayo)
Clean & butterfly shrimp (like I did here). Set aside in fridge on top of ice or place in fridge.
- Pickle carrots (I did mine ahead of time - best to let them pickle at least an hour before use). Make your own with this recipe.
- Slice cucumber, pick cilantro leaves, & make chile mayo as directed.
- Cut baguette to six inches for each serving.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lay coconut flakes on a 1/4-inch sheet pan & toast until lightly brown.
- Turn accordingly for about four to eight minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Split bread in half & lightly toast in the oven until crisp brown.
- Spread chile mayo on both sides of bread & lay sliced cucumbers on top of each half.
- In a medium pan, heat butter & lightly sear shrimp with butter and salt and pepper.
Slowly add coconut milk to caramelize. (Just after my shrimp turned slightly pink & totally opaque I removed them from the coconut milk & butter mixture so insure they wouldn'be overcooked. Then I let the liquid reduce over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. I think retossed the shrimp with the sauce.)
- Divide the shrimp up for each sandwich, add toasted coconut flakes, top with pickled carrots & cilantro & enjoy!