Meat on the grill takes caveman like simplicity to prep yet seems to deliver so much flavor. If you have enough salt & pepper on your chicken or steak plus a little olive oil you're going to win every time. Top simply prepared meat with these equally simple spicy sweet rings of pineapple & you'll think you're ready for the grilling version of Chopped.
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 3/4-inch-thick pineapple rings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4cup thinly sliced basil
Make it! (recipe from Rachel Ray Everday)
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and chili powder.
- If you don't have a pre-cored pineapple cut your rings & punch out the core with a cookie cutter, or keep the core in they have surprising nutritious values. (If your rings break apart they will still taste good, so don't sweat it!)
- Brush the pineapple and steaks with 1 tbsp. olive oil.
- Sprinkle the pineapple with the chili sugar and season the steaks.
- Grill the pineapple, 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a plate and tent with foil until ready to serve.
- Serve meat stacked with pineapple rings & sprinkle with basil.