Happy Memorial Day! Hope you're having a fabulous extended weekend. What are you making for your bbq? Maybe this salsa?
I love fresh salsas made with fruit (like this mango one I made way back when). Strawberries are everywhere so I used them for the base of this fresh, quick salsa.
A new tip I picked up about strawberries is that they will only be as sweet & as red as they are the day you bought them. Most other fruits you can stick in a brown paper bag on your counter for a few days for the fruit ripening fairies to take a visit. Not these guys. If your strawberries are greenish - they'll most likely stay greenish, so opt for the bright red ones instead.
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, cut into small chunks
- 1 lime, zest & juice
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 small onion or shallot, chopped
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp sugar (optional depending on how ripe/sweet your strawberries are)
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste. Add sugar if berries are too sour.
- Refrigerate for at least a half hour before serving.