Thursday, October 4, 2012

Double Tree Chocolate Chip Cookies


A co-worker made these cookies for my team & I long before I'd even tasted the original famous Double Tree Chocolate Chip Cookies.  I was instantly impressed & needed the recipe.  Since then I keep a stained piece of paper  in my mini recipe binder (that I've had since I was 12 ) with just the ingredients written down. I've made these cookies so many times that I have the process down pat, but I still need to double check my measurements - this is baking we're talking about after all.

There are four things that make these cookies as good as they are (besides the obvious chocolate chips & butter):
  1. ground oats
  2. cinnamon
  3. lemon juice
  4. the fridge/freezer
There is probably some kind of chemical reaction that happens - but I'm not going there because I'm not going to even pretend to know.  What I do know is that these cookies offer the perfect thickness & the right amount of yum to keep you making them over & over again.

Without further adieu, per Ms. Lindsey Barton's request, please click through to get the official recipe!




Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour

  • 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda

  • 1 tsp. salt

  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon

  • 1 cup butter (2 sticks - yes really), softened

  • 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed

  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar

  • 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
  • 
2 eggs
  • 
3 cups semi-sweet, chocolate chips

  • 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
Make it!
  1. Grind oats in a food processor or blender until fine. 
  2. Combine the ground oats with the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
  3. 

Cream together the butter, sugars, vanilla, and lemon juice in another medium bowl with an electric mixer. 
  4. Add the eggs and mix until smooth. 
  5. Stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture and blend well. 
  6. Add the chocolate chips and nuts to the dough and mix by hand until ingredients are well blended.


  7. For the best results, chill the dough overnight in the refrigerator before baking the cookies or put in the freezer for about 30 minutes & in between batches. 


  8. Roll about 1/4 cup portions between hands & place onto an ungreased cookie sheet. 
  9. Place the dough balls about 2 inches apart. 
  10. Bake in a 350°F oven for 16-18 minutes or until cookies are light brown and soft in the middle. 
  11. Store in a sealed container when cool to keep soft.
  12. Bring to work to share with others or you will eat every last cookie!








1 comment: