The one main element that separates this pesto from your usual pesto is also what makes it so light - it doesn’t have any cheese or nuts but it does have anchovies. I know that may sound a little unapproachable but really the anchovies just serve as a salt factor. It doesn't taste fishy what-so-ever. I promise. (Note: If you're preparing this for picky eaters who are put off by fish just don't mention the anchovies & all they'll know is that it tastes delicious.) It’s really fresh & great on everything (I mean everything: bread, fish, pizza, potatoes, veggies).
Make this & then let me know what you put it on. Tag me in your photos on instagram (@mrshoh or #HeatherOMade) if you do I'd love to see your concoctions!
- 1 generous handful fresh basil leaves (about a cup)
- 1 generous handful fresh parsley (about a cup)
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 clove garlic
- 3/4 - 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt (if needed)
- Blend the basil, parsley, anchovies & garlic in a food processor until all the pieces are finely chopped.
- Drizzle in the olive oil a little bit at a time with the food processor on until desired thickness is achieved. I like to make this one a little bit thinner so I add closer to a cup of olive oil.
- Taste it. Depending on how salty your anchovies are you may or may not need to add salt - you decide.
- Serve it on ANYTHING.
- Store in an air tight container in the fridge.