Zucchini is a veggie (or is it a fruit?) that I always have in my shopping basket & during the summer I grab as much zucchini as I can. It’s a great grilling veggie but it’s also great when you slow cook it into this yummy zucchini butter. While it’s ‘slow-cooked’ it’s also really easy to make. You can cook it ahead & store it in a jar & then toss it with pasta, farro or smear some on toasted bread. I tossed ours with some linguini, a little bit of pasta water & topped it with some grated cheese. It was tasty!
- 2 zucchinis, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed & roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt & pepper
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup water, veggie stock or white wine (optional)
- Heat the butter & oil in a medium-sized pot over medium heat.
- Add the garlic & cook for 3 minutes or until the garlic starts to turn a light golden brown color.
- Toss in the cubed zucchini & season with salt & pepper.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the zucchini starts to soften.
- Toss in the basil.
- Stir well & reduce heat to low.
- Cook for another 30-45 minutes.
- If the mixture starts to stick to the bottom of the pot stir in some water, veggie stock or white wine.
- You want to reduce the mixture to a nice thick paste like consistency.
- Stir every five minutes or so.
- Store in an air-tight glass jar or serve hot.