Thursday, August 22, 2013

Grilled Zucchini with Chickpeas, Raisins & Garlic-Yogurt Sauce


Grilled Zucchini with Chickpeas, Raisins & Garlic-Yogurt Sauce recipe
I'm definitely a creature of habit. I like what I like. I usually like to eat at the same handful of places for lunch, if I haven't (responsibly) packed one.  When I go grocery shopping I usually buy the same ingredients with a little variation here and there depending on sales and seasonal things.  Last night I was in the mood for something familiar but different. I've been eating zucchini all week. I love it and I rarely get tired of it. According to the Today Show it's in season - so there you go - now is the time to zucchini it up.  I usually just sauté it with some other veggies like I did here but after finding Caroline Wright's recipe on food52.com's under $20, in under 20 minute meals I was on my way to buy some more zucchini.

This grilled squash with chickpeas, raisins and garlic-yogurt sauce hits all different bells and whistles that I think would be served somewhere exotic, like Morracco.  The chickpeas have a bit of pop to them in texture and even more so with the hot and sweetly warm spices.  The grilled zucchini is toothsome and even better with grill marks.  To top it off there's creamy garlic-yogurt sauce.  For those of you who think eating vegetarian food is for the birds, try this hearty dish and you'll be singing a different tune.

I am definitely adding this dish to my regularly scheduled programming.

Ingredients from Caroline Wright's recipe on food52.com:

  • 3 medium, mixed summer squash (such as zucchini, yellow), cut lengthwise into 1-inch wedges
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest plus lemon wedges for serving
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 2 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (I only had one can of chickpeas so I mixed in a can of cannellini beans - work with what you have!)
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (I didn't have smoked, so I used regular paprika)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
  • 1/4 cup golden raisins
  • 1 cup whole milk Greek yogurt

Make it!  (dirctions from Caroline Wright's recipe on food52.com)
  1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
  2. While grill heats, combine 2 tablespoons olive oil and lemon zest in a large rectangular dish (I used a large bowl and it worked just fine too!); add squash and turn to coat.
  3. Season squash with salt and pepper.
  4. Finely grate garlic cloves (you should have about 1 teaspoon).
  5. Toss chickpeas with 1 tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon garlic, cayenne, paprika and cinnamon. Season with salt and pepper.
  6. Place a large square of foil on a work surface; place chickpeas in the center. Crinkle and gather the edges of the foil to create a packet. (Reserve bowl.)
  7. Add squash to one side of the grill and packet on the other. (I saved the lemon zest oil in the bottom of my bowl for drizzling later)
  8. Grill, turning squash and shaking packet occasionally, until squash is tender and chickpeas are lightly browned, about 8 to 12 minutes.
  9. Transfer squash to a serving platter and return chickpeas to reserved bowl.
  10. Toss chickpeas with parsley and raisins; scatter over squash.
  11. In a small bowl, stir together yogurt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic; season with salt and pepper.
  12. Spoon yogurt over vegetables, drizzle with olive oil if desired, and serve with lemon wedges.










No comments:

Post a Comment