It turned out to be pretty delicious, plus you can eat it all in a bowl & it’s a pretty complete meal. We’ll definitely be having more frekkeh in the future.
Have you tried frekkeh? What do you make yours with?
- 1 cup freekeh
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced (I used baby portobellos & oyster mushrooms)
- 4 baby leeks, cleaned & cut on the diagonal into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small fennel bulb, sliced thinly
- 3/4 lb cod
- 2 tablespoons chimichurri sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + a little more for drizzling
- salt & pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 450.
- Toast dry freekeh in a medium saucepan over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes until fragrant.
- Add water & bring to a boil.
- Cover & reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook the frekkeh until liquid is absorbed & freekeh is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Uncover & fluff with a fork.
- In the mean time toss the veggies in a large mixing bowl with the olive oil, salt & pepper.
- Lay veggies out on two sheet trays in an even layer. Try not to overcrowd or overlap.
- Roast the veggies in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While the veggies cook, cut the cod into four pieces. Drizzle each piece with about a teaspoon of olive oil & season with salt & pepper.
- Remove sheet trays of veggies from the oven & toss the veggies around so that the other side has a chance to roast. Place the pieces of cod on top of some of the veggies.
- Return the veggies & the fish to the oven. Bake in the oven for another 12 minutes or until the fish is opaque.
- In bowls add a scoop of the frekkeh, a spoonful of the veggies & top it with a piece of the cod. Spoon a little bit of the chimichurri over the cod & enjoy!