Friday, January 30, 2015

Raisin, Coconut & Oat Scones with a Maple Glaze

Scones will always remind me of the coffee house that I worked at in college. We always had them & they always sold out. I would always bring some to my mom when I could - she was (& still is) a huge fan of the scones at Immaculate Consumption. I of course ate them but I never made them.

This past weekend I decided I would finally give it a try. I combined a bunch of recipes to come up with mine which I can say I’m proud of. If you’ve never had a scone it’s like the love child of a biscuit and muffin. They can be sweet or savory. The ones I opted to make were sweet with raisins, coconut & a maple glaze. 

Have a great weekend! I hope you make these for breakfast :)







Ingredients for scones (adapted from Grandma Johnson’s Scones)
  • 1 cup greek yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2/3 cup rolled oats
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
For the glaze (adapted from Ina Garten’s recipe here)
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Make the scones!
  1. In a small bowl, blend the greek yogurt & baking soda, & set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  3. Lightly grease a large baking sheet or line with a piece of parchment paper.
  4. In a large bowl, mix the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, & salt.
  5. Cut in the butter. Use your hands to incorporate the butter so that your mixture turns into crumbs.
  6. Stir the sour cream mixture & egg into the flour mixture until just moistened.
  7. Mix in the raisins & coconut.
  8. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, & knead briefly. This was really messy for me & the dough seems pretty dry but you’re doing it right if you have these same thoughts :)
  9. Roll or pat dough into a 3/4 inch thick round. I made mine into two rounds.
  10. Cut each round into wedges (depending on how large you want your scones you can get 8, 12 or more out of each round)
  11. Place them 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
  12. Bake 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown on the bottom.
  13. Mix all of the glaze ingredients together & drizzle over the top of the warm scones.















Note: this recipe made a ton of scones so I cut the scones out & layered the raw scones between pieces of parchment paper & then put them in big ziplock bags to freeze them. I plan to bake scones on demand. This has the potential to impress guests without much effort since the all the hard work is already done!




No comments:

Post a Comment