I don’t eat a ton of meat - so Chris doesn’t really either because we eat together. I do however always try to have some sort of protein in our meals. Eggs are a great protein & usually really quick to make for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Last week I boasted about my first successful poached egg experience. As I was going through my photos* & I found some of these tomato sauce poached eggs that I actually made a month or two ago - sorry I fibbed a bit on the poaching because I in fact had poached before! I feel like poaching eggs in tomato sauce is a bit more forgiving & might be the gateway poaching method you need to get your feet - err eggs (?) - wet.
*I photograph pretty much everything I make - sometimes these photos make the blog & sometimes they just collect on my hard drive.
- 3 organic eggs
- 2 cups kale, with ribs removed & chopped
- 2 cups tomato sauce (either homemade or jarred - yep I said it you can used your favorite jarred sauce)
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons basil, thinly sliced
- goat cheese (optional)
- Over medium head in a large skillet, heat the water & tomato sauce together. Mix well.
- Add chopped kale. Season with salt & pepper.
- Cover & let the kale cook until bright green & tender.
- Make three little wells in the kale-tomato sauce mixture.
- Crack your eggs & drop each in one of the wells respectively.
- Season the eggs with a pinch of salt each.
- Let eggs cook until whites are opaque (about 3-5 minutes). Cook longer if you like a more well-done yolk.
- Sprinkle basil over the top.
- Spoon eggs & sauce onto plate. Top with some crumbled goat cheese & eat with toast if you please.