I'm going to start this week off with how some meals should really start - dessert first. A few weeks ago some of my girlfriends (and a select husband and fiance) and I celebrated a quick visit of one of favorite former NYC gals, Ashley, at Intoteca on the lower east side. The food is delicious there & is great for large groups. I've eaten there on several occasions and each time when the wait staff brings out the affagato it's like the first time for me all over again and I love it all the same. Affagato literally means drowned in Italian per my knowledge of the language... I mean according to Wiki. In the case of this simple but decadent dessert it's referring to the ice cream drowned in espresso. Yep that's pretty much all you need for this dessert - a scoop of your favorite ice cream with hot espresso poured over it. It's that simple and completes the coffee/dessert portion of your meal in one spoonful. It's super easy, so easy that I've been tempted to make it for breakfast - but I haven't… yet.
- 1 scoop ice cream (your choice) per person
- 1 shot of hot espresso per person
- Scoop ice cream into a small espresso cup, shot glass or small bowl. If you're scooping particularly hard ice cream run your ice cream scoop under some hot water in between scoops - this will give you cleaner scoops that require a lot less muscle.
- Pour hot espresso over each scoop. You can garnish with some chocolate syrup, whipped cream and/or chocolate covered espresso beans.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!