This weekend & well last weekend too had some dreary catch-up-on-your-favorite-shows kind of weather going on in the North East. If you find yourself in the middle of a tv show marathon here is a great way to spice up your popcorn - make it buffalo style. I used Average Betty's buffalo popcorn recipe or as she refers to it - man bait for a new twist on an old snack with one of Chris's favorite flavors - buffalo hot sauce.
What's your favorite rainy day snack?
- 8-10 cups popped popcorn (1/2 cup pop corn kernels if you're making it the old fashioned way like I did + a couple tablespoons of olive oil)
- 3 TBSP buffalo wing sauce
- 2 TBSP butter
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 325(F).
- To make the popcorn the old fashioned way (via Simply Recipes), simply heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a 3-quart saucepan on medium high heat. Add a couple kernels to the pan & cover.
- When the test kernels pop, add the rest of the popcorn kernels in an even layer. Cover, remove from heat and count 30 seconds. This method first heats the oil to the right temperature, then waiting 30 seconds brings all of the other kernels to a near-popping temperature so that when they are put back on the heat, they all pop at about the same time.
- Return the pan to the heat. The popcorn should begin popping soon, and all at once. Once the popping starts in earnest, gently shake the pan by moving it back and forth over the burner. Try to keep the lid slightly ajar to let the steam from the popcorn release (the popcorn will be drier and crisper). Once the popping slows to several seconds between pops, remove the pan from the heat, remove the lid, and dump the popcorn immediately into a wide bowl.
- Melt the butter and buffalo wing sauce together in the microwave, approximately 20 seconds.
- Drizzle wing sauce mixture over popped corn and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt.
- Pour coated popcorn onto 2 baking sheets.
- Place baking sheets in preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until crisp, stirring half way through for even baking.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Popcorn crisps as it cools.