Monday, October 15, 2012

Reality Bites Banana Bread


This weekend I devoured Apron Anxiety.  You must read it, especially if you're at any kind of crossroads in your life.  It's just such a fun read & I found it totally relatable.  Plus, it has delightful little recipes between chapters that are very real & very accessible even if you're just beginning in the kitchen.

I also consumed some much more caloric banana bread a la  recipe from Apron Anxiety. I had a bunch of overripe bananas so I doubled the recipe & poured the batter into a bundt pan for a large ring-like loaf.  I have to say it wasn't the traditional banana bread that I grew up with (it has chocolate chips in it!) but is still equally delicious. I added some nutmeg like my mom always did & cinnamon for some fun.

Click through for the full recipe.


Reality Bites Banana Bread from Apron Anxiety (page 42)
Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus additional for greasing the pan
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup (2 medium or 3 small) mashed ripe bananas
  • 3 tablespoons yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (depending on your sweet tooth)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon (my addition)
  • 1 teaspoon nutmeg (my other addition)

Make it:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, & salt.  Set aside.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter & sugar until light & fluffily. 
  4. Add the bananas, yogurt, & vanilla. Mix well.
  5. Blend the flour mixture into the banana mixture & stir in the walnuts & chocolate chips.
  6. Pour the bater int a 9" x 5" baking pan & bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until the top is firm & golden browns & a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean.



No comments:

Post a Comment